How to get cash back on gasoline with the Upside App!
This article contains affiliate links. I will be compensated by purchases made using links in this post.
A few months ago, one of the members of my Facebook Frugal Community Group told me about an easy way to earn cashback on gasoline purchases called Upside. I immediately loved the idea of getting cashback on gas, because gasoline prices have gotten so expensive the past few months! After hearing about the app it only took me a few seconds to download it and start searching for offers near me. And so far, I have LOVED using this app! I wish would have started using it sooner! Here is my honest Upside App review! Let me know if you have any questions!
What Is The Upside App?
The Upside App is an app that rewards you with cashback when you shop at gas stations, grocery stores, and restaurants. (Disclaimer: I have only used it at gas stations and that is what my Upside app review will be focused on.)
How Does It Work?
One of my favorite things about Upside is that it is so so easy to use! Here’s how it works:
1. Download The App
The first thing you will need to do is download the Upside app to your phone. The app is completely free to use and download! Once you sign in, make sure to enter code BRANDCYCLE25 to get a BONUS 25 cents cashback/gallon at the gas station using your first receipt.
2. Find Offers
Next, you will need to search for offers in your area. This is easily done using location services and the in app map.
The map will show you each of the offers near you and how much cashback you are eligible for.
3. Claim Offer
When you find the offer you want, click the “Claim” button. You will be given 4 hours to redeem the offer you selected, so make sure to use it within that time frame.
I have found it works best to claim the offer when you are sitting at the gas station about to fill up. This way you won’t forget about it!
4. Earn Cashback
Before earning cashback with Upside, I recommend filling in your credit/debit card information. This info is only used to verify purchases, it will not be used to charge you for anything.
After you buy your gas, you will get your cash back in one of two ways.
It will either be automatically applied to your Upside account when you use the card in your account. Or, you can scan your receipt to verify your purchase.
Your cashback will be added to your Upside account within 24-48 hours.
- Related: How To Save Money On Gas
5. Cash Out
Now for the fun part! You get to redeem your earnings! Yay! When you are ready to get your earnings, just click on the “Cash Out” option. You have a few different ways to redeem.
- Cash Out: Upside lets you cash out via paypal or direct deposit to your bank account. You can choose this option whenever you want, no minimum amount required! However they will charge a $1 processing fee when requesting cashback under $15, so I recommend waiting until you have $15 or more to redeem using this method. Which honestly, it didn’t take very long for me to get to $15 earnings.
- Digital Gift Card: The next option is to redeem your earnings for a digital gift card. Upside offers a big selection of gift cards. You will find a selection of gift cards to retail shopping, restaurants, Walmart, and even Amazon! Here are a few of the options available currently:
6. Bonus Cashback
If you like using Upside make sure to share your referral code with your friends and family. This will benefit both of you!
When you share your referral code your friend will get an extra 15 cents/gallon cash back the first time they use an app and YOU will get a bonus 15 cents/gallon cashback. Win-win!
Does Upside Really Save Money?
I get asked a lot if Upside is actually a good way to save money. The truth is, it depends.
Yes, Upside can be a great way to earn cashback when filling up your car. This is free money and a great way to offset the rising fuel costs.
But! There have been times when the cashback offers on Upside were actually more expensive than other gas stations (yes, even after the cashback!). These types of offers are not worth it!
I recommend you always check the GasBuddy app to find gas prices in your area and compare those prices with the cashback offers on the Upside app. Choose whichever one is cheaper. Sometimes it might be cheaper to use Upside and other times it won’t be.
- Related: The Best Cash Back Apps
Upside Cash Back App Pros
I love so many things about using Upside. Here are a few of my very very favorite!
- The app is very user friendly and easy to navigate.
- I love the map that shows the offers nearest me, it’s so helpful for finding gas stations.
- Free money! I love earning cashback on items I would be buying anyways! Gas for my car is necessary, so I might as well get a kick back at the same time!
- The referral program is amazing. When you refer Upside to a friend you will get a bonus 15 cents/gallon cashback to use within the app. PLUS! You will get 1 cent/gallon cashback on every gallon of gas your friend buys using the app….forever! It’s the referral program that just keeps on giving!
Upside Cash Back App Cons
I love this easy to use cashback app, but their are some cons! Below are some of my biggest cons with using Upside.
- It does not work with cash. You can only redeem a receipt if you pay with a credit or debit card.
- The app is not available everywhere. There are some location where Upside does not offer cashback options. I wish it was more global friendly.
- Upside can be more expensive than other gas stations. Occasionally the cashback received from Upside is still more expensive than competitor gas stations, I wish that it would consistently be a money saving option.
- Prices aren’t always accurate. I love that Upside tells you the price of gasoline, along with the cashback offer available. However, there have been a couple of times when the prices Upside quoted me was not the actual price at the gas station. This has been rare, but it has happened.
Is The Upside For You?
Still wondering if Upside is for you or not? I recommend you download the app and look to see the offers in your area, if you find some good offers, try it out! You have nothing to lose!