How to make whole wheat graham crackers.
I have a rule. A little grocery shopping rule to help me stay in my grocery budget. I am only allowed to go to the grocery store once a week. If I run out of something earlier in the week or if I realize I have forgotten something, well that’s just to bad, I have to wait. I have learned to do without and to use what I have on hand. This homemade graham cracker recipe has saved me time and time again.
This past weekend my kids ate through all of my store bought snacks. Does anyone else’s kids do that? I thought I had bought plenty snacks for the week, but we are all out. I still have two more days until my grocery day.
So today I decided I needed to whip up a few homemade snacks to help tide my kids over until grocery day. The more food you make from scratch, the more money you will save. This graham cracker recipe has been a favorite in our house for years. It is fairly easy, somewhat healthy, and 100% delicious!
- Related: Grandmas Famous Banana Bread Recipe
Combine flours, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt and soda in mixer.
Add butter and mix slowly until it turns to crumbs.
Add vanilla, honey and water. Mix well.
Turn onto a floured surface. Roll out into 1/4 inch thick. Cut out with your favorite cookie cutters. We’ve used all shapes and sizes. It’s fun to mix things up!
Bake in oven for 10 minutes. Enjoy! Hopefully my kids can last on graham crackers and fruit until grocery day! 🙂
Homemade Graham Crackers
- 1 1/2 cup wheat flour
- 1 cup white flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup butter chilled and cubed
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup water
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine flours, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt and soda in mixer.
- Add butter and mix slowly until it turns to crumbs.
- Add vanilla, honey and water. Mix well.
- Turn onto a floured surface. Roll out into 1/4 inch thick. Cut out with your favorite cookie cutters. We've used all shapes and sizes. It's fun to mix things up!
- Bake in oven for 10 minutes. Enjoy!
Happy Frugal Baking!