Best Tips To Learn How To Save Money On Gasoline.
Anyone else notice the cost of gasoline rising? I basically want to cry gigantic tears every time I go to the pump to fill up. After I finally wiped away my tears I decided I needed to learn how to save money on gas to help prevent any more grumpiness.
I’m still trying to implement these new learned lessons, but so far I have been so excited to see my gas bill come down slightly, and I hope to decrease it even more over time!
How To Save Money On Gas
Here are a few things I have been doing to help decrease my fuel expenses. I hope they help you save some money too! Remember, every little penny can add up to big savings over time, especially at the pump!
1. Shop Around
Never fill up at the first gas station you see. It might be the closest, but that doesn’t mean it is the cheapest option, and we definitely want the cheapest!
The best way to find which gas station will be the best deal is to download and start using the free Gas Buddy app to help you find the cheapest gas in your area.
It’s really easy to use! Just download the app and enter in your location. The app will then search to find the gas prices near you. Scroll through your options until you find the best deal and use that station to fill up!
The prices will change and vary day to day, so check the app each time you need gas.
Another great way to save money on gas is through carpooling. Bonus, it will also save your car on wear and tear!
You might want to consider asking a few co-workers who live near you if they would like to carpool to work together. Just meet at one central location and then take turns driving.
Or! If you are a parent you could ask other parents to carpool to your kids activities together. There is no need for 5 parents to all drive to the same place, right? Right!
If you feel nervous about asking others to carpool with you just remember that we are all looking for ways to make gas cheaper, so they will most likely be thrilled to join your carpool!
3. Join a Warehouse Club
Just make sure you will use your club membership wisely. Sometimes these memberships can tempt us to spend more money than we normally would, but if used correctly this is a great way to save money and shop smartly! Check out the best deals at Costco here!
- Pro Tip: If you are new to Sam’s Club you can sign up now for $45 and get a $45 gift card to spend! This is a great deal!!!!
Slightly changing the way you drive can make a big difference on your fuel consumption. Slamming on your breaks or speeding up to quickly will hurt your gas mileage. Instead, try to get into the habit of accelerating and braking slowly and gradually. It really does make a difference!
5. Drive Less
You can save on gas by spending less time driving. I know this might be a difficult one for many people, we have places to go and things to do! But, if you are able this will be a great way to cut monthly costs.
Here are a few alternatives you might consider to help minimize your driving time:
- Bike or walk instead of driving.
- Work from home if possible.
- Combine errands into one outing.
- Park further away from your destination and walk.
6. Earn Cashback
If you are going to be filling up with gas anyways, you might as well earn some cashback while doing so. Here are a few of my favorite ways to get some money back at the pump:
- GetUpside: I’ve recently started using the free GetUpside app and loving it! All you have to do is download the app and you will be able to see the gas offers in your area. Choose the offer you want, the offers I’ve received have been anywhere from 15 cents/gallon – 1 cent/gallon cashback. After you select the offer you want to redeem, just go fill up with gas and scan your receipt into the GetUpside app. It’s all really easy! I’ve been using it for about a month and have earned $10 already! Yay!
- Fetch Rewards: Fetch Rewards is one of my favorite ways to earn some extra gift cards. All you have to do is scan your receipts, including gas AND grocery receipts! So, after you get gas, just scan your receipt into the Fetch Rewards app and you will be rewarded with points! These points can be redeemed later for gift cards to your favorite places, such as Amazon, Target, etc.
- Discover Card: I love using my Discover Card when making gasoline purchases. I get 1% spent cashback every time I fill up with gas, but Discover will offer 5% bonus cashback every few months on gas purchases. I love these bonus months!
7. Keep Tires Inflated
Remember that the maintenance of your vehicle will effect its fuel efficiency. One thing that could hurt the fuel efficiency is letting your tires become deflated. Make sure to keep your cars tires inflated at the proper levels to get the most bang for your buck. According to the U.S. Department of energy this one trick can save you up to $.02/gallon.
Bonus! Keeping your tires properly inflated will also help your tires to last longer, which will save you even more money! This is what I like to hear!
8. No Idling
An important way to save money on gas is to not keep your engine on when your car is idling for a long time. Keep in mind that when your engine is on, you are using fuel, even if you aren’t moving.
Never let your car sit and idle for a long period of time. If you know you will be waiting in your car for a few minutes, maybe when picking up kids, checking the map on your phone, or getting groceries, turn off the cars engine to prevent using any unnecessary fuel.
9. Roll Up Windows
Driving with the windows down can be fun and refreshing, but it also hurts your gas mileage. To start saving more money on your gas bill, leave your windows up when driving. It will make a difference!
10. Regular Maintenance
As mentioned before, it is so important to keep your car up to date on regular maintenance and serviced. This regular maintenance will help ensure your vehicle is getting the best gas mileage possible.
11. Join A Fuel Rewards Program
Make sure to join a few fuel rewards programs to earn rewards, such as free gas and discounts! This is a great way to knock a few pennies off the price of your gasoline.
Here are a few suggestions of stores with fuel rewards programs:
These are my best tips for helping you learn how to save money on gas! I encourage you to try a few, or all of these tips out and let me know if you start to see some savings or not!
- 10 Quick Ways to Save Money on Groceries
- 10 Ways To Save Money On Electricity This Summer
- How To Find Extra Money In Your Budget