Easy Canned Zucchini Relish Recipe.
When I married my husband, I had no idea the plethora of new and delicious recipes I would learn about. My in laws have introduced me to so many yummy foods that I never even knew existed. One of them is this Sweet Zucchini Relish recipe.
This is honestly the very best relish I have ever had. Every single person who I have shared this relish with loves it! I am always being asked to share the recipe. Zucchini relish is perfect to eat this relish on hamburgers, hot dogs, biscuits and gravy, and sandwiches.
I love to make a big batch of zucchini relish every summer to use up our garden zucchini surplus. A jar of zucchini relish makes a wonderful gift to give to new neighbors, friends or as Christmas gifts.
Sweet Frugal Life is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. As an amazon associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Zucchini Relish Prep
Zucchini relish is so easy to make. It takes a little prep and planning, but the steps are really simple.
First, you need to grate 10 cups of zucchini and 4 cups onion. If you have a food processor, I suggest using it. Sadly, my food processor was broken so I used my grater.
Dump your shredded zucchini and onion into a large bowl.
Next, add 5 tablespoons of salt and stir well.
Cover bowl and put in fridge and let it sit overnight.
The Next Morning
After your relish sits for 12 hours (or overnight) get it out and put it into a strainer.
Rinse with cold water.
Afterwards, use a spoon to try to push out as much moisture/water from the relish as possible.
Once you have gotten out as much moisture as possible, pour the zucchini mixture into a large pot.
Shred 2 green bell peppers and 1 red bell pepper. You can use 3 green peppers if you prefer, the red just adds a little color. Put the shredded peppers into pot.
After that add the following ingredients to the pot:
- 6 cups sugar
- 2 tsp. celery seed
- 2 1/2 cup vinegar
- 1 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 tsp. dry mustard
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 1 tsp. cornstarch
- 1 tsp. black pepper
Stir well. Turn stove to low and cook mixture for 30-1 hour.
The more moisture your zucchini has, the longer it will need to cook. It’s OK for it to still be a little runny/watery when bottling.
Fill hot mason jars with relish and top with a hot canning lid.
Process pints following canning procedures in hot water bath for 15 minutes.
Let sit on counter to cool and lids to seal.
Enjoy! Let me know if you have any questions!
- Related: Easy Banana Bread Recipe
Sweet Zucchini Relish
- 10 cups zucchini
- 4 cups onion
- 5 Tbsp salt
- 2 green bell peppers
- 1 red bell pepper
- 6 cups sugar
- 2 tsp celery seed
- 2 1/2 cups vinegar
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Use food processor or grater to shred zucchini and onions. Put in large bowl.
- Add salt to mixture.
- Cover bowl and put in fridge to sit overnight.
- After sitting overnight put zucchini in a strainer and rinse well with cold water.
- Use spoon to press out as much moisture as possible from zucchini.
- Pour mixture into a large, heavy pot.
- Grind peppers and add to mixture.
- Add sugar, celery seed, vinegar, nutmeg, dry mustard, turmeric, cornstarch, and black pepper. Stir well.
- Turn stove to low and cook relish for 30-60 minutes. The more moisture the zucchini has, the longer it will need to cook. It is OK for it to be a little runny and watery when bottling.
- Pour mixture into hot pint sized mason jars. Process in hot water bath, using safe canning procedures, for 15 minutes.
I can’t wait for you to try this sweet zucchini relish recipe! You will love it!
Leave a Reply